Fairy Tale Custom Dolls
About the DollsAt Realms of Gold, Inc., we create huggable, one of a kind cloth dolls and puppets based on traditional folk and fairytale characters from around the globe. Made of fine yarns and fabrics, the dolls and puppets are as happy telling stories in a classroom, sleeping in a three year old's arms, or sitting on a collector's shelf. Many of the dolls are reversible. For instance, the frog turns over to reveal a prince, or Cinderella goes from rags to riches. Multisided dolls actually date back to the U.S. Civil War. The dolls and puppets on these pages are based on Beth's original, copyrighted patterns.
About the HospitalThe Realms of Gold, Inc. Doll and Stuffed Animal Hospital was inspired by my own childhood teddy bear. I wanted to bring him to a bear hospital for my 21st birthday, but they wouldn't fix him. Fifteen years later, when I could fix him myself, I decided it was time to offer the same service to others. You can check out my Teddy's before and after pictures here.
I rejuvenate dolls and stuffed animals so they can continue to be played with. My patients have been mauled by pets, loved nearly to death by children and adults, and come from all over the globe. All return to their families ready to be loved and played with for many years to come.
About the Artist
All of the immigrants from Realms of Gold, Inc. are created, from idea to pattern to doll, by Beth Karpas. A dollmaker for over 30 years, Beth is a former children's librarian who has combined her love of stories with her passion for dolls to bring these storybook characters to life. She has been a professional storyteller for over a decade, and has been selling her dolls since 1999. In 2003, at the request of her customers, Beth opened the Realms of Gold, Inc. Cloth Doll and Stuffed Animal Hospital, where she has healed many treasured Raggedies and teddy bears from past decades. Beth lives in Los Altos, California with her best friend and husband, Peter, a dog, a cat, two turtles, and dolls and books in every room.
The Artist in Renaissance Dress with a Frog Prince Doll
About Our Dolls, Puppets, and Stuffed Animals
If you purchase a doll, puppet, or stuffed animal from Realms of Gold, Inc., you should know:
1. The characters are not for use by children under 3 years of
2. Faces are drawn with non-toxic, waterproof fabric markers and stitched with embroidery thread. Plastic features are held in place with safety washers.
3. If your doll or puppet gets dirty, clean it with a damp cloth and soapy water, if needed. Do not throw your character in the laundry, as the fabrics may run and yarn hair will not survive the washing machine's agitator.
4. The character's hair is double, and sometimes triple, stitched. The limbs are sewn with heavy embroidery thread. They will last for years if you treat them with the same respect as you treat people. Arrange the hair, but don't try to pull it out a strand at a time. Hug your character, but don't take a scissor to it, etc.
5. If your character came with a story and you lose it, we will send a replacement free of charge. If you would like published sources of your character's story, we can send you those as well, simply e-mail us at Realms of Gold.
What our customers say about our dolls, our hospital, (and us)!
K. loves her doll. It is her new bed time companion and has already made it to show and tell at school. As you can probably see from the attached pictures, we had to pry it away from her before we took her to ballet class.
"I bought 3 of your dolls last year and put them away for Christmas. They were a big hit!" San Francisco, CA
"My niece still sleeps with her dolly. We got it a year ago!" Palo Alto, CA
"Thanks for treating us so nicely... [she] still sleeps with her Sleeping Beauty." Foster City, CA
"I received your dolls today and LOVE them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I shall sing your praises here." Oak Park, IL
"I LOVE MY GOOD WITCH/BAD WITCH!!!! (the wart is such a great touch!)" California
"I received the puppets and they are WONDERFUL!" San Marcos, TX
"Thank you so much for fixing [my old doll].... I am confident that she will be able to endure many years of being loved." South Dakota
"She's perfect! She looks just like her!" Saratoga, CA
Where in the world are the dolls?
With our dolls traveling to new homes in yet another continent this year, I thought it was time to set up a map. Our dolls have traveled to every star, but they are all born right here at my studio in Los Altos, California.
Well, the United States map is getting kind of crowded, so I'm adding a map just for the states, too!
Visit our Los Altos Studio
Open by appointment, please call 650-996-2280 to schedule.